I leave tomorrow (today in fact) for Australia to see Yvonne Kenny's A Touch of Venus. And yes, I know, I've only just been away and I travel far too much but remember, London was unplanned. Whereas this trip has been on the cards for almost a year. Time flies. I'm not gone for long, just ten days, and you'll probably hear from me sooner than that anyway because as we know, it's difficult for me to keep my mouth shut or typing fingers still after one of Yvonne's triumphs. But given that I'm more of a YouTube fiend with each day that passes, this is as good an excuse as any to direct you to a few (alright, more than a few) bits of filmed brilliance.
- Beverly Sills on the Muppet Show. Several hilarious videos of Beverly (not to mention Miss Piggy) being utterly fabulous: watch 'em all.
- And, slightly more serious, Beverly with an incredible "O luce di quest'anima".
- More Natalie, bien sûr: Ah, quelle triste destinée. Obsessed? Moi?
- Patricia Petibon: Les filles de Cadix. As the caption says, insane performance. No point trying to explain this. I doubt there is an explanation. I bought this recital on DVD some time ago and I've never written anything about it because the whole thing as is wonderfully insane as this clip, more or less. I adore the woman but she probably isn't for everyone.
- For Michael, Dunedin's leading Vivaldian: here's our adored Sandrine. If I ever needed a reason to have Sandrine's CD of Vivaldi motets as well as Patrizia Ciofi's this is well and truly it.
- My beloved Kathy, beautiful as ever in "Una voce poco fa".
And after profiting so much from other people's YouTube efforts I feel obliged to contribute another little something so here it is. Lucia Popp, divine as Arabella, "Er ist der Richtige nicht für mich". Julie Kaufmann is Zdenka. Apologies for not including the full duet but if the clip was much longer I wouldn't have had time to upload it. Anyway enjoy.