- Pretty charmless and ugly, but not quite as vile as it might have been. It could stand to be a whole lot better, however.
- If you're going to have Giovanni die from the mother of all overdoses, maybe consider establishing a serious drug habit for him beforehand. Instead of a couple of casual lines of cocaine followed by Excruciating Pyschadelic Death.
- Note to the props department: it's Baudelaire, not Beaudelaire.
- Who knew Catherine Carby was such a fierce actress? Not me! Amazing!
- The production deserved its outing for the sake of theatrical diversity, but I really hope it's not now going into repertory for the next twenty years. Once here, maybe once in Melbourne — that should do.
- See it for the singing — this is one of the strongest ensembles OA has fielded in a while. Which means, see it before the end of the month. In August the conductor and half the cast will change and who knows if they'll be able to save it the way this lot does.
- Did you know that Elke Neidhardt had a supporting role in Skippy? She was Dr Anna Steiner, bush vet, for nine episodes, after which her character was "referred to in several more episodes, and ... finally mentioned as having gone to Tasmania." And here's the photo to prove it.
More to follow soonish.